November 15th, 1997 Tulsa Genealogical Society opened
the door to our library so members and the general public could access
our genealogical research books and materials.
This collection had been ten years in the "growing" and benefited from
the years of service and generosity of John Denny and his late wife, Amanda
who housed the collection in their home. Many other TGS members worked
tirelessly on the development of this collection.
The two room suite in the Briar Village Shopping Center provided library
space for research as well as room for society business and
fellowship. Opening our library also brought in a large number
of donations in the form of books, microfilm, and manuscripts. Eventually we
began to realize we had outgrown our space.
October 19th, 2004 the Society
moved the business office and library to an expanded area in the Briar Village
Shopping Center. This new suite provided much-needed space to house the
ever-growing additions of donations as well as space for TGS to hold their
monthly meetings and mini-workshops. High-speed Internet was made accessible for
research and members were invited to bring their own laptop computers.
The original collection of books for Tulsa Genealogical Society comprise
what is now known as the "Amanda Ledbetter Denny Research Collection."
Provision is also made that any significant donations be labeled as the
collection of that donor. Our first such donation is now
known as the "Marie Sittler Collection." Marie was a long-time member of
TGS and after her death, her collection of books and research papers were
donated to the Library by her husband. Since that time we have received other
significant donations which are the "Donald A. Wise Collection," the
"Rusty Lang Research Collection," the "Mary Louise Hannah
Palmer Collection," and the "Betty Welsh Collection." In July of 2003 we were given a significant
collection of over 1,600 books, maps, CDs, microfilm and microfiche by Dr. James W. Shaw.
The TGS Acquisitions Committee also purchases books, microfilm, and
compact disks with budgeted and donated monies. An early project of the TGS Library
was the purchase of the 1900 Arkansas Soundex.
The TGS Library has the microfiche index of Tulsa County Marriages 1907-1994.
Also available are extracted Tulsa County marriages, Funeral Home records, cemeteries,
voter registration books and other Tulsa materials. Unpublished databases
are available on in-house library computers including additional information
from funeral home records, Rose Hill Cemetery interment list and old Mobrary
Funeral Home records.
Microfilmed copies of The Tulsa Daily World are available through
1914. Additionally there are numerous original Tulsa County Court Record Books
at the Library. These books have been indexed to make the information readily
The bulk of the TGS Library's materials are books; many on locality
subjects, which are shelved by the state. The Oklahoma section is the largest
and sections for Oklahoma's neighboring states of Missouri and Arkansas
are significant. There are sections on Surnames, Regional Materials, Native
American, Military, Emigration, Biographical and Reference books. Many
compact disks are available on various topics.